History of the Department
The Department of Environmental Science of Bangalore University was established in the year 1992 to mainstream the scientific methods and technologies related to environment in the main curricula of the University. Primary mission of the Department of Environmental Science is;
- To enlighten the current knowledge related to environmental events at local and global levels.
- To understand and tackle environmental issues with multidimensional approach
The department has implemented a number of academic programs as per the curriculum as well as executed many funded research projects, seminars, workshops, invited lectures, conferences, awareness programmes etc., for meeting the impending opportunities and challenges ahead. Apart from teaching and research programme, department also undertakes consultancy services. Students benefited in their 4th semester, as they are introduced to research field on environmental aspects for their dissertation work. A strong tradition of high quality lectureship and research has been established and this has propelled curriculum in an excellent manner.
Since 1992, numerous studies conducted by the department have been published in various national and international journals, environmental magazines and in several newspapers. Teaching faculty has been appointed as members of the advisory boards of several environmental journals, Member of Lake Rejuvenation Committee, Member of Committee constitute by the High Court of Karnataka, Bengaluru to monitor and check illegal encroachment, Member of Environment Clearance Committee in Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change MoEF & CC.
Tenure : 08.02.2017 to 07.02.2019
Department of Environmental Science
Tel: 080 22961365
A. Course Offered -
1) M.Sc. in Environmental Science
B. Nature of Course-
1) Semester Scheme
2) Full Time & Part Time
C. Duration -
1) 4 Semesters (2 years)
2) 3+2 years & 4+2 Years
D. Intake :
1) 20 + Payment Seats -10
2) 8 students per guide
1) M.Sc.: A graduate in Science I Agriculture / Horticulture with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate of all the optional subjects with Chemistry/Biochemistry and any one of the following subjects: Applied Zoology, Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Botany, Computer Science, Electronics, Environmental Science, Geology, Genetics, Life Science, Microbiology, Physics and Zoology.
NOTE: 50% of the seats are reserved for students with Environmental Science as cognate subject at degree level.
2) Ph.D.: A post graduate degree in Environmental Science/Environmental Engineering/Science
|SI. No.||Name of the Faculty||Qualifications||Designation||Specialization||View Profile|
|1||Dr. Nandini N||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D, FNEA, FISEC||Professor||Environmental Microbiology, Hydrology, Aerobiology, Climate Sciences, Toxicology, Solid Waste Management||Profile |
|2||Dr.R.K.Somashekar||M.Sc., Ph.D||Professor||Environmental Biology,Toxicology, Remote Sensing and GIS,Natural Resource Management||Profile|
|3||Dr.B.C.Nagaraja||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Biodiversity, Natural Resource Management, Toxicology, Environmental Economics||Profile|
|4||Dr.K.L.Prakash||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Environmental Chemistry, Engineering & Modeling, Pollution Monitoring & Control||Profile|
- Water quality monitoring in the Kollegal stretch of River Cauvery - 1997 to till date (continues prog
- Biologically mediated corrosion and efficacy of
- ramme).biocides on biofilms of water distribution system in Bengaluru Urban district, Karnataka, India, 2006-2009.
- Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Programme for Karnataka – 2009 to till date.
- “We Heal”; project for training women engineers in spreading environmental awareness in Kuppam and Kunnigal, 2009.
- Biodiversity Register (PBR’s) for Bengaluru Urban District, 2009.
- Status report on biodiversity of wetlands of Bengaluru Metropolitan Region, 2010.
- Reproductive biology of RET tree species of Western Ghats, Karnataka, 2010.
- Impact of sewerage network on hydrological system with special reference to endocrine disrupting substances in ground water of Bengaluru City, 2012.
- Assessment derived for conservative strategies for major Lakes of Karnataka, 2012.
- Assessment of ground water quality around the rejuvenated Lakes (12 Lakes) of Bengaluru, 2012.
- Investigations on the gamma irradiator for environmental applications, 2013.
- Green and ecofriendly technology for treating waste water entering into wetlands of urban Bengaluru, Karnataka, 2013.
- Application of environmental isotope techniques to discern sedimentation pattern in lakes and reservoirs and their impact on fresh water supply to Bengaluru and Hyderabad, 2013.
- Green field project work of Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd, 2013
- Study of Bellandur Lake, Bengaluru, 2015
- Quantification of Carbon Sequestration in Bangalore University Jnana Bharathi Campus, Bengaluru.
- Environmental Assessment of Yellenahalli Lake in Akshayanagar, Bengaluru.
- Physico-chemical and bacteriological analysis of Biomedical Effluents of Victoria, Vani Vilas, Minto Opthalmic and Bowring Hospital.
- Research findings on Sulikere Reserve Forest, Kaggalipura range, Bengaluru urban division for Hosakerehalli village forest committee - A case study.
- Research finding on The Case for Restoration of Lung Spaces on the Former Central Jail – Cricket Pavilion Stretch of Gandhinagar, Bengaluru.
- Ambient Noise and Air Pollution during Deepavali festival in Bengaluru City, in collaboration with Central Pollution Control Board which implemented guidelines for the community during the festival.
- Extension activity to the colleges in labelling Heritage trees in and around Bengaluru.
- Assessment and monitoring of Environmental Assets in Ramakrishna Ashrama, Bengaluru.
- Quantification of carbon sequestration potential of Bengaluru parks.
- Eco-therapy for Mentally Challenged Children’s of various schools of Bengaluru.
- Air quality monitoring at green space (Lalbagh) and Traffic junctions of Bengaluru.
- World Environment Day (Every year)
- Parisara Ganesha (Every year)
- Eco-Deepavali (Every year)
- World Ozone Day (Every year)
- World Water Day (Every year)
- Earth Hour (Every year)
- Swaccha Campus Abhiyan through Eco-club
- Joy of Knowledge for School students