Apparel Technology & Management was started at Central College Campus in the year 2002 under X plan to provide students an opportunity for a career in Fashion & Apparel industry & to pursue research in the field of Fashion Design, Textiles and Apparel Science. The Department located at Central College Campus is offering 4 semester’s Masters programme that strives to develop and promote academic excellence among the students. The programme equips students to pursue careers in Fashion & Apparel industry, Buying houses, Designer boutiques, Retailing, Research & Development and Consultancy in the fashion and apparel industry. Students who have successfully completed the course have been placed as Designers, Merchandisers, Managers, Customer Care Associates, Executives, Visual Merchandisers, Trainers etc., in reputed organizations, besides many opting to set up their own enterprises.
Besides, the Department is also offering Doctoral programme in Apparel Technology & Management.
Co-ordinator : Dr. Sudhakar R
Tenure: 04.04.2014 to untill further ordersContact Us:Apparel Technology & ManagementCentral College Campus, Bangalore UniversityBangalore 560 001
Tel: 080 22961952e-mail: [email protected]
A. Course Offered - 1) M.Sc. in Apparel Technology & Management 2) Ph.D.
B. Nature of Course - 1) Semester Scheme
C. Duration - 1). 4 Semesters (2 years)
D. Intake - 1) 40 regular seats + 10 payment seats +02 Sponsored seats
E. Eligibility :
M.Sc. Fashion & Apparel Design:
- Bachelor’s Degree examination in Fashion & Apparel Design / Costume and Fashion Designing/ Garment Manufacturing Technology / Textile Technology / Apparel & Fashion Technology / Fashion Designing / Costume & Apparel Design from any recognized University / Institute and have not secured less than 50% of marks in aggregate in optional subjects are eligible for admission.
- For sponsored candidates: Bachelor’s degree from recognized University with not less than 50% of marks in aggregate in optional subjects and employed in a reputed institution / organization in a responsible position with a minimum of 3 years of experience in the area of Apparel / Textile / Fashion Design.
|Sl. No.||Name of the Teacher||Qualification||Designation||Specialization||View Profile|
|1||Dr. R. Sudhakar||Ph.D.||Asst. Professor||Chemical Processing, Natural Dyeing, Silk Technology||Profile|
|2||Smt.JayashreeVenkatesh||M.Sc. M.Phil.||Asst. Professor||Fashion Design||Profile|
|3||Smt. Vidhya. R||M.Sc.||Asst. Professor||Pattern Making & Clothing Construction||Profile|
- Research & Activities:
Research (On-going Ph.D. topics)
- A study on antimicrobial properties of selected natural dyes on textiles.
- Studies on the effect of low temperature plasma treatment on the characteristics of advanced cellulosic fabrics.
- Designing a framework to improve quality and reduce cost of non-conformities in an apparel manufacturing set up through application of Lean Six Sigma methodology.
- A study on dyeing and antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of selected natural dyes.
Completed research projects:
- K.N. Ninge Gowda, “Identification, extraction, evaluation of dyes and documentation of natural dye yielding flora of Karnataka”, funded by BU under IDRP. (Rs. 800000)
- Sudhakar R, “A study on the physical and comfort properties of handloom woven silk fabrics” funded under BUIRF (Rs. 100000).
- Vidhya R, “Antimicrobial properties of selected Natural dyes” funded under BUIRF. (Rs. 100000)
Industry Visits: As part of the curriculum students visit manufacturing facilities, retail stores, testing facilities, exhibitions, trade fairs, art galleries etc., for better understanding of the processes.
Student seminars: Students are encouraged to make presentations on topics related to the subject as part of the curriculum.
Special Lectures: Special lectures by eminent personalities from the industry and institutes are arranged on a regular basis which provides a platform for the students to interact with the experts from the industry to keep abreast with latest trends.
List of Research Scholars:
|Sl. No.||Name of the candidate||Title of Project / Thesis||Name of the Supervisor|
|1||Venkatesh Babu||To design a framework to improve quality and reduce cost of non-conformities in an Apparel Manufacturing set up through application of Lean Six Sigma Methodology||Dr. K.N. Ninge Gowda|
|2||Jayashree Venkatesh||Studies on the effect of low temperature plasma treatment on the characteristics of advanced cellulosic fabrics||Dr. K.N. Ninge Gowda|
|3||Vidhya. R||A study on Anti-microbial properties of some selected natural dyes||Dr. K.N. Ninge Gowda|
|4||Krishma M Jadav||A study on antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of selected natual dyes||Dr. K.N. Ninge Gowda|
The Department has spacious class rooms and separate laboratories for Designing, Draping, Sewing, CAD, Chemical Processing, Testing etc.,
The Department has a lending library with over 1000 books.
The laboratories are equipped with latest industrial sewing machines, Gerber Technology’s Pattern Design software with digitizer and plotter, Reach CAD, Reach Fashion studio, Merchandising Manager, Computerized embroidery machine etc.,. Testing facilities include Moisture management tester, Universal Testing Machine, Gretag Macbeth 7000A spectrophotometer, Flammability tester, FAST system, UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Trinocular Research Microscopes etc.