History of the Department
• The Department was set up in 1973 and since then it has set reasonably high standards for itself.
• The first Chairperson - Prof. K.H.Cheluvaraju - laid the foundation of the department and also later on became Vice Chancellor of Gulbarga University. Successive Chairpersons along with the other faculty members have contributed to the growth of the Department.
• Right since its inception, the department has always had a dedicated teaching and non-teaching staff, which has been a major factor for its growth.
• The Department has created conducive atmosphere for encouraging research and ‘developing innovative teaching methods’.
• The Department has organised a number of international, national and state level seminars, conferences and workshops,
• The Department organizes four Endowment Lectures every year viz., the Kengal Hanumanthiah Endowment Lecture, the Janma Bhoomi Trust Lecture, S. Nijalingappa Endowment Lecture and the Madhav Rao Endowment Lecture.
• The Department has established a ‘Social Science Discussion Forum’.
• The Department continues to have Collaborative Programmes with the United States Information Centre (USIC), Chennai, Indian Institute of Public Administration, Karnataka Chapter, Institute for Social and Economic Change and National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore.
• The ‘Political Science Society’ organises special lectures by eminent personalities on contemporary developments.
• The Department intends to bring out a journal.
Several members of the Faculty have active links with NGO’s and civil society organisations.
Chairperson: Dr. Meenakumari Deshpande
Tenure: 28.03.2015 To 27.03.2017
Department of Political Science
Tel: 080 22961731
A. Courses Offered-
a) M.A. in Political Science
b) Certificate Course in Human Rights & Duties
B. Nature of Course - Semester Scheme
a) 4 Semesters (2 years)
b) 3 Months (One Semester)
a) 40 + Payment Seats- 10
a) M.A. in Political Science: Graduates who have secured 40% marks of all subjects and 50% of marks in the cognate subject at the Bachelor’s Degree level. Graduates who have studied Public Administration (with 50% marks), at their Degree. Those who have studied Political Science as a subject in the first three years of Five Years B.A.B.L/B.A.LL.B Course.
b) Certificate Course in Human Rights and Duties
i. Post Graduates of Bangalore University with a minimum of 50% marks in the Degree Course.
ii. Law Enforcement Personnel
Those working or Associated with NGOs directly engaged in the promotion of Human Rights and Duties
|SL. No||Name||Qualifications||Designation||Field of Specialization||View Profile|
|1||Dr. M. J. Vinod||M.A; M.Phil; Ph.D||Professor||International Relations and foreign Policy Studies||Profile|
|2||Dr.V.MeenaKumariDeshpande||M.A;Ph.D; Dip in Gandhian Studies||Professor||Gandhian Philosophy and Political Theory||Profile|
|3||Dr.M.Narasimha murthy||M.A; Ph.D||Professor||Public Administration and Indian Administration||Profile|
|4||Dr. P. Ramanna||M.A; M.Ed; Ph.D||Professor||Karnataka Government and Politics||Profile|
|5||Dr. Veena Devi||M.A; M.Phil; Ph.D||Professor||Women Studies and Electoral Studies||Profile|
|6||Dr. S.Y.Surendra Kumar||M.A., M.Phil.Ph.D||Assistant Professor||South Asian Security and Foreign Policy Studies||Profile|
RESEARCH PROJECTS (2008-2015):
Title of the Project
Name of the Faculty Involved
Prof. M.G Krishnan (retd)(Principal Investigator)
Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM), Germany
Migration into Bangalore City-A Study of Social Economic and Political Implications
Prof. M.J Vinod (Principal Investigator)
Voter Choice and Electoral Politics 2009
Prof. Veena Devi (Principal Investigator)
Edited Six Books of the series of Mahatma Gandhi Krithi Sanchaya.
Prof. Meena Deshpande
Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Bangalore
Contemporary Electoral Trends from Human Rights Perspective: A Comparative Study on Mauritius and India
Dr. S. Y. Surendra Kumar (Co- Investigator)
UGC-TEC Consortium Program 2011
|Prof. Meena Deshpade|
1. Nagamma Foundation Award (September 2011) for women achievers awarded by Nagamma Foundation, Bangalore
2.Teacher Appreciation Award in the discipline of Political Science (September 2011) conferred by the Governor of Karnataka, Karnataka Civil Defense Corps & Rotary Bangalore.
3.‘Ambassador For Peace’ (September 2014) by the Universal Peace Federation, New Delhi.
|Prof. M. J. Vinod|| 1. ‘Ambassador For Peace’ (September 2014) by the Universal Peace Federation, New Delhi.|
2. Awarded the Fulbright Fellowship (August 2015-May 2016) as a Scholar-in-residence in Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland
|Prof. P. Ramanna|
1. Rashtra Bhandu Vivekananada Rathna”(2014) for the service in the field of yoga, Education, Social Service and Cultural Heritage Org. by Swamy Vivekananda Vishwa Prakruthi Yoga Foundation, Bangalore
2. Recognition of the Service (2014) rendered for the welfare of physically challenged, by Karnataka State Govt. disabled Employees Association, Banglore
3. “Vikalaanga Seva Bhushana Prashasti” (2009) for the Service rendered to the physically Challenged Community and in the field of Sports, by Federation of Physically Handicapped Association in Karnataka
|Dr. S.Y. Surendra Kumar|
1. Short Duration Fellowship 2010 on Forced Migration in South Asia., given by Mahanirban Calcutta Research Group (MCRG), Kolkata, India.
2. MAHBUB-UL-HAQ Research Award 2008, given by RCSS, Colombo, Sri Lanka for a collaborative study between two researchers, one each from a different South Asian country, on “Non-Traditional Security Issues in South Asia”. The research proposal was “Understanding Suicide Terrorism in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka”.